Sunday, August 15, 2010

Are You Still There?


To the 4-5 of you out there who actually read this, I apologize. I somehow fell off the face of the blogosphere for about two months. I actually laughed to myself a bit when I saw that my last post was about me being 24 weeks along. I am now almost 34 weeks! And trust me, there has been much expanding. One day, if I can find one that I feel semi-comfortable with, I might post a picture again. But no promises.


So, what have I been doing during my 10 week absence? So glad you asked. Unfortunately, I don't have a great answer, but I do feel like I've been very busy. A couple of weeks ago I flew to Arkansas for my first baby shower. Herschel then drove from Florida to Arkansas to retrieve me and our loot. He was able to stay for a couple of days before we made the trek back to the Sunshine state. It was a long, hot, swollen drive, but it was nice for us to be able to sit and talk - a lot - with very few distractions. Something we don't get to do very often. And something that I'm sure will be even more allusive in the months to come.


One of the things we talked about on our drive was how blessed we are. I mean, here we were driving 1,000 miles back home with a car full of presents from family and friends who love us and want to help us celebrate this incredible miracle that is occurring in our lives. It's humbling to experience people loving on you in such a selfless way - and thankfully, that realization did not escape us. I hope Sophia grows up to know just how loved she is as well, not just by us, but by this amazing group of people we have surrounding us. Simply put, we are blessed.


Once we returned from Florida, I felt like I slept for about 3-4 days straight. I was wiped out, and somehow just could not bring myself to function like a semi-normal person for about a week. I tried, trust me. But my body just had other ideas. Once I did re-enter the real world, I had to catch up on life - the house needed to be cleaned, laundry need to be washed, groceries desperately needed to be purchased and combined into some form of sustenance. Just the everyday stuff. But each thing was at its most extreme.


Then, we started childbirth classes. Yep, I had nightmares after our last class. No. Joke. Can't wait until tomorrow night when we get to go back and learn more. Yikes! I just hope I can sleep through the night tomorrow. These classes definitely make me question the phrase "Knowledge is power." I'm becoming a huge advocate for the "Ignorance is bliss" movement. And for any of you who know Herschel, you won't be surprised to know that he is loving every moment of the classes. He's soaking it alllll in. Any excuse to learn something... I just sit there willing him not to ask any embarrassing questions or make any mortifying comments - both of which are very real possibilities with him. (Of course, he would disagree with this statement.) But so far, so good. Although we have two classes left, and that's plenty of time for him to come up with something.


Finally, nesting is in full effect around the Acosta household. I sort of had my doubts about that whole phenomenon, but that is the only thing that can explain the flurry of activity that has been going on around our house lately. And Herschel has not been spared. In fact, he may be almost worse than I am. Not kidding. And he will admit it. We are are cleaning/organizing/getting-stuff-done machines!


Almost all of Sophia's laundry is done, and I'm working on organizing and reorganizing her closet and dresser. Our garage is pretty much spotless. We cleaned out several garbage bags full of stuff last weekend from around the house. Things are happening! We even started a craft project last weekend for Sophia's room, and I have to say, I'm pretty proud of ourselves. I found a couple of ideas online that I liked for her walls, but they were mucho dinero. So, my DIY'er husband convinced me that we could in fact DIY, or in this case DIO (do it ourselves). I have been shocked at how easy it's been - and how much money we've saved! I've been taking pictures of the whole process, and I'll definitely post some when we are finished. But now I feel like a whole new door has been opened. I'm not buying anything I could make ever again! At least that's how I feel this week. Check back in, oh, say, 6-7 weeks when I have a newborn.


I hope that's accounted for at least a little bit of the time I've slacked off from this blog. I'm going to try to be better in the coming weeks. I can't believe that we are down to only 6 more weeks from Wednesday until my due date. It seems as if I'm stuck in this weird in-between place where time is both speeding by and going in slow motion all at the same time. For most things, waiting 6 weeks, seems like an eternity, but when you start talking birth, the whole perspective shifts. And throw into the mix that that whole 6 week mark, isn't necessarily a firm date (it could be less!), and that will really mess with this pregnant lady's brain. Don't get me wrong, I can not wait. But with the excitement comes a bundle of other emotions. And list-making and organizing will only soothe so much.


So before I dwell on those emotions too much longer, I will leave you with a few photos from the shower. Enjoy!

Three of the five hostesses. All dear, dear friends who I am incredibly grateful for. They've each impacted my life in a great big way, and helped shape me into the person I am today. I love them!


Can you sense just how awkward we all feel about taking this picture?

Super cute, and maybe some of the most delicious cupcakes ever. I mean, really, they deserve their own post. So cute and so good. Seriously.



Me with some burp cloths. But not just any burp cloths. These were made by the sister of a friend of mine who has started her own business. She is so talented. You should check her out at: www.rocketshipsandelephants.com. You can even see Sophia's burp cloths on there. So cute!

































No comments:

Post a Comment