Thursday, October 29, 2009

Alone...and hopefully I stay that way

I have mixed emotions about the next two nights. I used to love my alone time - crave it actually. And to a certain extent, I still do. But at the same time, I really like having my husband around - for company, for conversation, for protection, for a laugh...oh yeah, and because I love him. But for the next two nights, not only will he not be around, he will not be within the same time zone. And it wasn't supposed to be this way. But, that just seems to be the story of my life.

This weekend Herschel has a meeting in College St., Texas. We had made great plans a while back that I would go with him and we would make a long weekend out of it and meet up with some other friends while we were in the area. We thought it would be even more perfect because during our last trip I got an email offer Southwest where I could get quadruple credits on my next rental car. PERFECT - that would give me a free ticket! So we did it, no questions asked.

Turns out, it wasn't so perfect. While we did everything we were supposed to do to get the credits for my free flight, it hasn't been processed yet. I've called the airline and the rental car company repeatedly over the past few weeks and gotten about 50 different reasons for why it hasn't worked, all the while being told not to worry that it should definitely be posted by the end of the month. Well, here I am...still in Florida...still 1.5 credits shy of the free ticket that was all but guaranteed to be mine by the end of the month.

Because we waited so long for my phantom free ticket, the cost went way too high to justify me tagging along for the weekend. Believe it or not, I'm actually really trying not to be too whiny about it, but it's not easy. I'm trying to get reacquainted with my enjoyment of alone time. And I've decided that I do still enjoy it, it's just that it gets overshadowed just a bit by the thought of frogs and lizards and other Floridian creatures making their way into my house without anyone else there to "take care of them" besides me. See this doesn't actually happen to us, but I'm TERRIFIED of the thought. I see these creatures everywhere right outside of our house, so really, what would stop them from wanting to come in?

I actually had a dream last night where there were frogs - everywhere! I was completely freaked out and barely slept last night. Herschel just about had me calmed down and talked off my frog-fearing ledge as we were walking back home from our morning workout, when what should happen as we walked in the door?? Yep, you guessed it - frog! In. Our. House. Until that moment, my dream was just horrible fantasy, but in a split second, it became a horrific reality. I get it, I'm a big baby, chicken, whatever you want to call me. But I can't help it. That's just who I am. Everyone who knows me knows my absolute fear of crawly critters. That's the way it is.

So, during this alone time that I'm relearning how to enjoy, I'm praying (quite literally) for an uneventful rest of the weekend and that we have no more uninvited guests. Granted, Oscar has already spent the day throwing up, but that, I can handle. On the up side, there's some really good TV on tonight, and I'm very excited about that. At least it will keep me distracted for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment