Friday, October 23, 2009

Fall is in the Air?

I was warned. "Florida is seasonless," they said. But I was tricked. I got caught up in the all of the other evidence - the calendar, which btw does read October 23, the pumpkin patches, the fall decor in the stores, the appearance of pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks. And then, to make matters worse, we had a "cold front" move through south Florida last weekend. That's right, lows in the 50s - check. us. out. And, quite frankly, it was lovely. Perfect, actually. Everywhere I looked, Fall was in full bloom. I was beginning to think that I had proved everyone wrong. But, I just gotten caught up in it all.

See, "they" were right. Florida doesn't have a Fall. Much to my dismay, the cold front was a fluke. As much as I wanted that weather to stay, the temperature today and for the foreseeable future will be in the high 80s. I've been told to look forward to January. Really? January? It seems so far away. Fall has always been my favorite season. So when I pulled out my pumpkin decor and bought a bag of candy corn, it just didn't feel right. I think it was the fact that I was doing it in flip-flops and a tank top, or maybe it was the hum of the A/C in the background.

All I can think about is Thanksgiving. It's supposed to be cold, or at least moderately cool, at Thanksgiving. How are you supposed to eat that much food when it's hot outside? Maybe this year we'll have to trade our turkey, for some hot dogs and a boogie board and head to the beach. I'm sure we wouldn't be alone...

I hope you're enjoying Fall where you are. And drink a pumpkin spice latte for me. I'm headed to the pool.

1 comment:

  1. I deal with it every year in Dallas... maybe not to the exact degree! I wish for Arkansas so much during the Fall, or at least a tree that doesn't just go from green to dead. We are currently experiencing our tease today, but it will be back in the high 70's by tomorrow! However, I can guarantee, most people busted out their heavy winter jackets and might be in ear muffs and gloves just because they can today!

    ReplyDelete